注册
搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
查看: 1017|回复: 3

[原创]Pieces of Thoughts

[复制链接]
发表于 2004-5-18 00:00:00 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Pieces of Thoughts on \"The Age of Innocence\"

Everyone in this world wears a mask, even they get suffocated.
Sometimes we are sunk in the rut unconsciously. Are we born to live in a limited circus and take on those necessary responsibilities? We go on our routine life just because we have to?
When Ellen sat together with Archer, she threw all the decency and dignity away (though she seldom cared about that even before).
“Does no one cry here?”(Cry will lose your face)
“Do I need to wear a mask everyday?”(Mask makes you safe)
Archer watched her pain and red her silently. His heart was not hard, but he would not tell out a word.
He knew his heart so much, but he chose the ordinary life—to marry his betrothed girl. He thought he could be a normal man and live a normal life at the expense of true love. He did indeed, but that was before he had the chance to see Ellen. A glance could refresh all the memories between them.

While he had the chance to go to Ellen, he set a rule for him again.
“When the ship passed the harbor and she turned around, I‘ll go to her.” Ellen didn’t and he went away.
“I didn’t turn back ‘cause I knew you were there.”
“I saw your cart.”
The next time Ellen told the truth.
How much effort did both of them have made and how much pain had they endured so as to make both of them control so well?

And what the real innocence is in this touching movie, I doubt…surely was not the apparent innocent girl Archer betrothed. For all her life, she imagined a beautiful land where no one would conquer and pollute without knowing the changes of the outside world. She kept her innocence unaware of how much pain she had brought to others. The day she talked with his older cousin (Ellen) that she had conceived Archer’s child, she didn’t know she had broken their dreams into pieces.
“You told her you did before that you were not sure of it?”
“Yes, and you see, I was right.”
Archer looked into her deeply; only saw her wife’s innocent glare in her eyes.

The real innocence, I believe, should be Ellen, before she knew Archer, she was so naive that she believed everyone in New York would like her and appreciate her—a woman resisted her family and ran away from her husband, which was unacceptable at that time. And for time and time again, she retreated from this triangle love just not(to) want to hurt those people around her.

As for Archer, he had never been alble to get close to Ellen, even the last time when he sat alone on the beach watching the window of Ellen’s house. The last scene is that he sat for a long time on the bench in the thickening dusk, his eyes never turning from the window. Time was stopped and all the memories passed like a movie in front of him. Later a man-servant came out and closed the window.
  At that, as if it had been the signal he waited for, Newland Archer got up slowly and walked back alone to his hotel.

Maybe, he lost the last chance, or maybe he never lost that—the hidden romance had been always blooming in his heart no matter how hard he had tried to bury it.

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-6-4 4:09:21编辑过]
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2004-5-18 00:00:00 | 显示全部楼层

There must be a lot so mistakes and i'll check them later
[此贴子已经被作者于2004-5-18 13:44:23编辑过]
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2004-5-21 00:00:00 | 显示全部楼层
thanks for sharing  such a good essay with us.

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-5-21 17:43:12编辑过]
回复

使用道具 举报

hazeleyes 该用户已被删除
发表于 2004-5-21 00:00:00 | 显示全部楼层
nice movie.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 17:35 , Processed in 0.309699 second(s), 8 queries , Redis On.