找回密码
 注册
搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
查看: 3100|回复: 10

[[原创地带]] Mid-Autumn Day

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-9-12 17:24:30 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
The expression of Mid-Autumn is originated from the Ancient Book ZhouLi. According to ancient Chinese calendar, August 15 of lunar calendar is in the middle ten days of August in every autumn, thus is called “Mid-Autumn”.

With the continuous development of the society, many interesting legends are connected with the moon. From “the Toad in the Moon” to “Jade Rabbit Smashing Herb”, from “Wu Gang Chopping Cherry Bay” to “Chang E Flying to Moon”. Rich imagination described various beautiful sceneries of moon palace. From Han Dynasty to the Great Tang Dynasty, many poets intoned many poems and legends of moon. And August 15 became the most ideal period of time for expressing one’s emotions, when the moon became full. In the Taizong Epoch of Northern Song Dynasty, August 15 was officially nominated as Mid-Autumn day, when the whole nation would gather together and celebrate. At the night of Mid-Autumn day, there is bright moon in the sky and the earth is full of cool light. The time of full moon is taken as a symbol of union, and August 15 is deemed as a day when families gather. Thus Mid-Autumn day is also call “Union Day”.

The celebrity of Mid-Autumn day is also delicately connected with Imperial Examination. In the old days when China was still in its feudalism society, examination was deemed as a big deal and was a big day for finding out talents. The examination was carried out every three years and was arranged in August. Scenery combined passion, the winner of the examination were called laurel winner. Every Mid-Autumn day, there was a big celebration, which even became a custom of the nation and lasted from dynasty to dynasty and never ended since then.

Mid-Autumn day now became one of the three big days (Spring Festival, Dragon Boat Day, and Mid-Automn) of Chinese Nationality ever since.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-12 21:51:21 | 显示全部楼层
How do we spend our Mid-Autumn day?

I am a staff of Erdos Group in Qi Pan Jing industrial zone, where it is remote and deserted and far far away from my home.

As the last day of work before the three days Mid-Autumn leave, today saw many of my classmate went home by train or by bus. Each of them looks so happy and the big office where we are always crowded became even more crowded with their birds like talking. Each is calling the other when do you go home, by bus or by train, with anybody or alone. Only we several not-back-home guys stayed in our corner in silence. No overjoyment or sadness, just a little bit dull. Such sense became more and more tense when they went one by one and fewer and fewer left in the big office.

By ten in the morning, the should-gones had almost gone. Only several still left for a later convenient car lift.

I devoted totally into busy work, when the other are going home for relaxation. I even took over another workmate's work and volunteered to help him, thus he can back home earlier and without worriness. The reason for I to do such a thing is that I want help, also because I need to be busy.

I seemed to feel a passion of work inside me and little bit fullfillment, which in a moment even satisfied me and took me away from homesickness. I enjoyed such sense and kept on doing it after lunch even without usual noon nap. I hurried myself in working continuously. But there at last came the moment when all the things done, and no more errands left over in my hand. I even felt dissapointed when I found no more assignment given by the boss or the others. I suddenly found I like so much the feeling of busily working.

The time in idleness seems so long. The afternoon shift found only several left-behinds in the big office, which seems to be so empty now. I suddenly missed the noiseness in the common days, which I had always hated.

In the mid-afternoon, I was totally bored and suffered a lot from missing my child that I risked to turn on the video talk in QQ program, and through which, I at last saw my baby. Though I was a little soothed by the sight of my boy, but the thought not to meet them in such a family gathering together day, I still found myself depressed.

Shoud we have a plan for the three long days ahead? I cannot figure one out, neither can the other two, I think. There is no place of interest in this nearby, even if there is, do you think we are in the mood to go anywhere interesting?

How can we kill our time in this vocation? I kept on wondering.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-12 23:08:22 | 显示全部楼层
we can call Mid-Autumn Day Moon Festival ,right?

"The time in idleness seems so long."
"How can we kill our time in this vocation?"
(your english is not so good,so am i.)

it seems too short for me.i'm always so busy.i just want to relax.but i can't.there are so many things to deal with every day.how could you kill your time?--i'm wondering.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-12 23:18:10 | 显示全部楼层
引用第2楼benchren于2008-09-12 23:08发表的 :

简明英汉词典
kill time
v.
消磨时间

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary:
kill 'time | kill an 'hour, a couple of 'hours, etc.to spend time doing sth that is not important while you are waiting for sth else to happen:
We killed time playing cards.

But thanks any way!

By the way, I think we should pay attention to capitalization and punctuation in writing.
i just want to relax.but i can't.
just take a example.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-13 01:14:31 | 显示全部楼层
引用第2楼benchren于2008-09-12 23:08发表的 :

Your English is not so good, nor/neither is mine.

Probably, Glen1111's English is a little bit better than yours.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-13 08:35:44 | 显示全部楼层
Thanks brianleeeee for attending in.
In fact, I am shameful not to find out some of the above mistakes. I really think that it is a good habit for us to help each other and find out our possible mistakes in writing. Anyway, English is not our mother tongue, there are always mistakes in our saying or writing. So what we should do is to find our them and avoid doing it again next time when we come across these. And to those who helped us in this issue, we should appreciate.

May I suggest something? They are: first, always keep in mind being picked with mistakes is really rewarding.
                                  second, be polite to each other and never hurry to enter a judgement.
Forum is a place of civilization and making friends.
Let's be nice to and help each other, unite under the flag of Glede and cooperate with all the hardworking moderators to build the forum even nicer. Remeber this forum is where we live our network lives, we should have a sense of owner and use our initiative in building it into a better place.

Deliver your idea, and build up the forum.
Ready? Let's do it.

Thanks brianleeeee again!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-13 16:31:32 | 显示全部楼层
引用第4楼brianleeeee于2008-09-13 01:14发表的 :

Your English is not so good, nor/neither is mine.

thanks for your correcting.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-14 09:33:35 | 显示全部楼层

One Day of My Mid-Autumn Leave

As we discussed above, Mid-Autumn is the time of family-gathering-together. As I am far awaw from my family, I can only sent my hello and missing to them through telephone. But I don't feel lonely, because I have at least two other families: one is our company, the other is our forum.

Though many workmates had gone back home. There are still some left with me, for being far away too, they just don't have enough time on the way. I am lucky to have their company. I like sports, which few of my workmates like. I had always be wondering how do they keep fit when they refuse to sports or excercises? By alcohol or smoking? I really doubt. But I do see them in good health and in serious addiction to drink and cigarette. I remebered that it was mentioned in a magazine that smoking can keep away snake or beatle, so the smokers sleep out at summer night would never worry being bitten or harrassed. Dispite of these readings, I still think this is really rediculous.

For being dull when they can't find other company in drinking. These guys just let down their like and surrendered to my favor. You see, two of them even offered themselved to play badminton with me. That is really a good news for me when I was in a thirst of getting into a combat. That afternoon, we did it. I kept on beating and beating until the good kind-hearted companies lay down on the ground and refuse to be raised up. So what do you say? Excercise seems to be better than drink and smoking. At least, my strength lasts than theirs. But one problem, how can I carry both of them such big guys back to the dormitory? Let me get them some icecream and cheer them up, then we can walk back home. Carry them will actually kill me.

That night, GM Zhang bought us a festival dinner. I am not a good drinker, but I drank for festival. In the drunk, I invited GM Zhang to play table-tennis with us. He willing agreed. You see, another day of leave is fulfilled. Happy my Mid-Autumn day.

In fact, the most thing I favor is to stay with my another family--the family of our forum.

I almost spent the whole morning in the forum, where I strode and wandered, sometime writing, sometime reading. Everywhere I went, I felt a passion to left behind something. But a warning in English block tell me not to post more than four topics a day, or I may be fined. The more topic posted, the more fine. I wondered if the answer topic counts too? But I dare not to ask, you see, ask problem also need to post a topic, I really don't feel like risk being fined in any way. I really need to be a good citizen. Because only a good citizen can develop quickly in the forum and have better chance to help the other, that is just what I always liked.

See you then, my favor family--you dearest forum. See you tomorrow, and I need to write more.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-14 22:34:13 | 显示全部楼层

On Drinking in Mid-Automn Day

Tonight, we had another gaterhing down in the town. We drank like Mongol do, singing and drinking. It is really an enjoyment.

To tell you the truth, this is the fifth time that I drank wine in my life. The first time only started no more than 2 month ago when I had just arrived in here--Qi Pan JIng Town of Erdos, Inner Mogolia. Before this, I had never drank in this way, not to mention to drink wine. But I really did, and found some enjoyment in it. Take it easy, I will never be addicted to drinking. Only because I am going to work in the field of foreign trade, I'd better to had some wine in some possible meeting or entertainment. But never addict to. That is a principle.

From this, I thought of something about the culture of drinking in China.

Generally, people think that drinking is no good to our health: bibulosity will always lead to deseases of respiratory tract or lung cancer. Usually, when people drinking and smoking, it is more easily to be ill. Experiment found out that the possibility for people who drank 56 times of wine in a week is higher than those who drank 20 times a week. In a word, a little drinking is helpful, but too much drinking will be bad to the body.

It is pointed out in the experiment held by King's College and St Thomas Hospital( England) that the best for youth to have healthy bones is to drink a cup of beer every day.

There is certain element that is always neglected in beer, that is silicon. In the past, the doctors put too much emphsis on calcium, the importance of silicon to bone growth is just recently realized.

Latest research found out that silicon is useful in bulding up the bones and forming colleague which makes bones more pliant. Harvard University and Tufts University co-worked and found out that silicon ingest is colosely connected the density of bones. Silicon is one of the elements that plants (such as barley, wheat and grain) absorbed from the earth, and beer is one of the drinks that modernist have which contain the richest silicon. Drinking a cup of beer everyday will provided us with silicon elements from natural resource, and is helpful to the healthy growth of bones.

But too much drinking is really bad. Today wherever there is an entertainment, there are always people drunk. Many people just suffered a lot from such drinks. In order to maintain your health, you'd better to drink less. When it is necessary for you to drink, and you had no time to eat something before drinking--it is generally agreed that a fed man can always drink more-you can drink something vinegary before that, which will make you feel fed and reduce the acohol absorbtion. In the common day, you may eat more spinage, amaranth and green vegetables, or you may take some vitamin.

Ok, now, guys, if you keep to what I said, you will enjoy your celebrations and have your health.

Wish you good and a merry Mid-Autumn Day!
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-16 10:32:02 | 显示全部楼层
Today it Tuesday, and the Mid-Autumn Festival Leave is formally over.

My workmates began to be back to their posts one after another. Some seems exhausted, some still seems exciting.

People are different, and the ways for they to spend their gatehr-together festivals are different too.

One guy who is a little bit older spent his leave with his family, cooking and drinking and argueing. That is just what he told me. When he said so, he seems to be with his sincere words and earnest wishes, "Brother, this is life. Never peace. Argueing and struggling are part of life and seasons of life. When there is even no passion for argueing between a couple, there may be danger". Isn't it a new theory?

Another just married guy went shopping with his bride. He was exhausted and complained that walking with his newly-wed wife almost killed him, "Any thing you need, why not just buy. She just kept on walking and walking and walking. I don't know where does she get so much energy." I should say to this brother with previous theory: this is life, your misery just began. Ha ha! A joke!

An old guy told us that he stayed with his wife back in home, enjoying entertaining his sons, daughter-in-laws and grandchildren. He cooked for several days in his grandsons' crying and struggling. But I want to tell someone, this is truly the life itself.

So you see, we are back from the leave, but different people had their different experience and got different understanding to life.

Dear friend, how do you spent yours, and how do you like it?
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-10-11 10:28:52 | 显示全部楼层
Today is Tuesday
and the ways for them
cooking and drinking and arguing

一些初级错误。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-4-29 11:19 , Processed in 0.335077 second(s), 5 queries , Redis On.