注册
搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
查看: 521|回复: 0

[【散文】] 和李叔同跨时空的对话 —— 读李叔同墨宝集《索性做了和尚》有感

[复制链接]
发表于 2016-3-3 23:53:21 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
和李叔同跨时空的对话 —— 读李叔同墨宝集《索性做了和尚》有感
I Dialogued with Li Shutong across Time and Space — Reading Li Shutong's Last Episode Simply Be a Monk

提起李叔同,大家并不陌生,李叔同就像是一位丨分相熟的朋友。
Everybody is familiar with Li Shutong,as if he is a very close friend of ours.

就连小学生都爱唱《送别》歌,因为他的歌词写得太好了:“长亭外,古道边,芳草碧连天。
Even students love to sing The Farewell Song, because he wrote the lyrics very wonderfully: “Outside the pavilion,on the trail edge,the grass is as blue-green as the sky.

晚风拂柳笛声残,夕阳山外山。
The breeze blows the willows while the song of flute is lingering; the sun is setting on the mountains.

天之涯,地之角,知交半零落;一杯浊酒尽余欢,今宵别梦寒。
In the end of the world, at the remote comers of the earth, half my friends are scattered; With a cup of liquor, I enjoy my remaining pleasure, a farewell dream makes me tonight cold.

长亭外,古道边,芳草碧连天。
Outside the pavilion, on the trail edge, the grass is as blue-green as the sky.

晚风拂柳笛声残,夕阳山外山。”这首歌从开始问世到现在己经快一个世纪了,还是受到人们的喜爱,而且我敢断言,这首歌还将继续流传下去,即使我们的子孙后代也会喜欢的。
The breeze blows willows while the song of flute is lingering; the sun is setting on the mountains.”

买了一本李叔同作品和墨宝集《索性做了和尚》爱不释手,细细读来,仿佛自己正在和这位平易近人的朋友对话。
I bought a copy of Simply Be a Monk; it is a collection of the works of Li Shutong and his calligraphies.I fondled it admiringly.I carefully read it, as ifhe was my amiable and easily approachable friend.

李叔同,1880年生于天津诗书门第, 取名文涛,字叔同。
Li Shutong, was bom in Tianjin in 1880 to a scholarly family, named Wentao. His pen name is Shutong.

母亲原为丫环,后被收为三姨太,略通文字,笃信佛教,对李叔同的成长影响很大。
His mother was a servant and the landlord married her as his third concubine. His mother read some books, and believed in Buddhism, so she it significant impact on his growth.

4岁丧父,李叔同母子在家中没有地位受排挤,所以叔同变得沉默寡言。
Losing his father at the age of four, Li Shutong had no position at home. Shutong and his mother were excluded, and Shutong became scanty of words.

6岁启蒙,14岁文才初露,写“人生犹似西山月,富贵终为草上霜”流传。
At age six, Shutong entered enlightenment until till fourteen when his talent began to develop and he wrote a poem: “Life is like the moon on the west mountain,while rich like the frost on the grass.” It became popular.

1897年与茶商之女俞氏成婚。
In 1897 Li Shutong married a girl,a daughter of a tea merchant.

1899年长子出生但夭折,1900 年次子李准出生。
His eldest son was bom in 1899 but soon died, ln 1900, his second son was born and he named him Li Zhun.

叔同诗书绘画甚至唱戏都很有名气,就是考举总是落第。
Li Shutong was famous for his poetry and paintings as well as for singing opera, but he continually failed the imperial examination.

师从蔡元培,在蔡元培的指导下翻译《法学门径书》《国际私法》出版。并在夜校教授音乐课,开中国音乐之先。1904年三子李端出生。
Later he became a student of Mr. Cai Yuanpei. Under the guidance of Cai Yuanpei, he translated The Basic Methods to Study Law and In International Private Law. The two books were published.He was a teacher in an evening school of music lessons and became a pioneer of mordent Chinese music.His third son, Li Duan was bom in 1904.

后来几年,李叔同出版了《国学唱歌集》,编写《音乐小杂志》,排演话剧《茶花女》。
Several years later, Li Shutong published The Collection of Songs of Ancient Chinese Literature and edited Minor Music Magazine.He and some friends rehearsed the drama “La Traviata”.

1907年,在日本学习绘画期间,与女模特相爱,并娶这位日本姑娘为妾。1910年携日籍夫人回家,以教书为生。
In 1907, he went to Japan to learn painting, and then he fell in love with a Japanese female model and married her.In 1910, with his Japanese wife he returned home, and he made a living by teaching.

1918年出家,法号弘一,1942年圆寂于泉州。
In 1918 he became a monk.His Buddhist name was Hongyi.He died in Quanzhou in 1942.

李叔同是个大才子,丰子恺评价他说:“由翩翩公子一变为留学生,又变为教师,三变为道人,四变为和尚。每做一种人都做得十分像样。好比全能的优伶:起青衣像个青衣,起老生像个老生,起大面又像个大面。”而世人都说李叔同做人做得太完美,风骨、才骨、傲骨一样不少,作诗作得雅,起文起得正;又会书画又懂篆印, 编曲演戏样样在行。甚至说“如此面面俱到之奇人罕有,而才子却于中年顿悟佛门之精妙,决绝入空门专心研佛,其一生恍若两世。”我边读这本书,除敬仰之外,便有了以下和大师的跨时空的对话:
Li Shutong was a great talent so Feng Zikai said: “From a well groomed young man he became a student, then a teacher, then a Daoist priest, and then a monk.Each profession he could do very decently.Like an actor who can play many roles, as a Qingyi he played a female of the demure type, as a Laosheng he played the part of older man, as a Jing he played the character with painted facial make-up.'' The people commented that Li Shutong was too perfect, with strength of character, talent, and pride, he could write perfect poems, could write perfect prose, could paint perfect paintings, could understand how to seal calligraphy, could play roles in opera, he could do everything well.Someone even said: \"'Such a versatile person is rare in the world.but with talent in middle-age he suddenly understood the subtlety of Buddhism, decided to be a monk and concentrate on studying Buddhism in the Buddhist temple.He seemed to live an entirely different life to the world.” I read this book, and in addition to admiring Master Li Shutong, it was as if I had a dialogue with him across time and space.My dialogue went as follows:

我的第一个问题是,好朋友,你为什么做了和尚?
My first question is, my good friend, why did you become a monk?

你的第一篇文章似乎冋答了这个问题:你喜欢西湖的风景,曾和好友夏丐尊居士在湖心亭吃茶。
Your first article in the book answers the question: You loved West Lake scenery so much.One day you and your buddy Xia Gaizun drank tea at the pavilion there.He said to you,“Guys like us would be better off becoming monks.

他对你说:“像我们这种人,出家做和尚倒是很好的。”你听了后觉得很有意思,就动了初念。
” You thought this very interesting and the idea of being a monk seeped into your heart first.

后来,你读了日本杂志说断食可以治疗各种疾病,你想试一试,治疗自己的神经衰弱症。
Later, you read a Japanese magazine and one article said that fasting could treat a variety of diseases, so you wanted to try it. treating yourself to neurasthenia.

于是,你在西湖边的虎跑寺断食了。期间,你喜欢并羡慕上和尚的生活。
You went to the Tiger Temple at the side of the West Lake to fast. During this period you loved and envied the monk's life.

民国六年下半年,你就“发心吃素了”,并念起了佛经。
In the second half of the sixth year of the Republic of China, you decided to be a vegetarian, and read the sutras of Buddhism.

又住在虎跑寺方丈的楼下,“更觉得有兴味了,于是,发心出家”。
You lived in a room just downstairs under the abbot room in the Tiger Temple.

及至7月,夏丐尊居士看到你穿出家人衣裳还未出家,说:“既住在寺里面,并且穿了出家人的衣裳,而不出家,那是没有什么意思的。
You \"felt more interested in Buddhism and knew you had the will to become a monk.” In July Xia Gaizun visited you and found you dressed in monk clothes but that you had not formally become a monk,so he said: “Since you have been living in the temple, and put on the monk clothes, but have not become a monk, you make no sense.

所以还是赶紧剃度好!” 于是在7月13日你就落发了,8月在灵隐寺受戒。
You had better quickly tonsure!” As a result on July thirteenth,you had your hair cut.In August at Lingyin Temple you were adorned.

从此,你就成了和尚。
From then on you were formally a monk.

我的第二个问题是,好朋友,你信的并不是藏传佛教,而非藏传佛教普遍认为信佛的人只要心诚在哪里都可成佛。
My second question is, my good friend, who do you believe is not Tibetan Buddhist?And are these non-adorned Tibetan Buddhists generally considered Buddhist anyway?As long as you are sincere you can be a Buddha everywhere, it does not matter if you are a monk or not.

作居士也可信佛向善,为什么非出家不可呢?
As a household Buddhist you can also be a real Buddhist.

苏轼、欧阳修都是居士,文章流传天下,并未出家;你的那个朋友夏丐尊居士劝你出家,他并未出家呀?
Why must you be a fonnal monk?For example Su Shi, and Ou Yangxiu were great scholars, and their articles spread all over the world, but they were not formal monks; your friend Xia Gaizun persuaded you to become a Buddhist monk, but why did he not become a monk himself?

你怎么就那么耳朵软呢?
How could you be so soft eared?

你在《佛法非是分利》中回答了我:“僧尼之事业,既是弘法利生。
You answered me in the article “Dharma is not giving you profit”: “The cause of monks and nuns is both preaching and benefiting the people.

倘能教化世人,增上道德,其间接直接有真实大利益于人群者正无量矣。”你立志要教化世人,弘扬佛法,所以“索性就做了和尚”。
If we can educate the people of the world, enhance morality, its indirect and direct real interest in the crowd is boundless.” You were determined to educate the people of the world,to promote Buddhism, so you just simply became a monk.

我的第三个问题是,好朋友,你已经娶妻生子,怎么能丢下他们不管呢?
My third question is, my good friend, since you were already married, how could you leave your wives and sons and not care about them any more?

你似乎没有回答我这个问题。
You seemed not to answer the question.

据李叔同年谱记载:1918年6月下旬,李叔同将自己的所有财物分赠他人——将当年上海名妓朱慧白、李苹香赠他的诗画扇页、金娃娃同卷以及所书 ‘前尘影世’横额、一块金表,均赠与夏丐尊:将自己的油画、水彩画作品,寄赠北京国立美术专门学校;将自己的金石作品及所藏名家金石作品,赠给西冷印社:将画谱等美术书籍、《莎士比亚全集》及自己的几幅书画作品,赠丰子悄留存:将音乐书籍赠给刘质平:将文具、《南社文集》赠给王平陵;将钢琴等家产赠给日籍夫人”……你对自己日籍夫人有一点安置,但对俞氏和自己的亲子, 已忘得干干净净。
According to the chronicle of Li Shutong’s life,it records: “In late June 1918, Li Shutong will give aIl his own property to others. He gave Xia Gaizun the treasure, a poetry book, a fan page, a gold doll with a volume, a banner with the words 'The Past Shadow World’,and a gold watch—all which Shanghai courtesans Zhu Huibai and Li Pingxiang donated to Li Shutong some years ago. He presented his paintings, water painting works, to the Beijing National Fine Arts School. He presented his stone works, including the Tibetan famous stone works, to the West Cold Printed Agency. He presented his paintings and other art books, The Complete Works of Shakespeare and his own pieces of calligraphy and paintings to Mr. Feng Zikai. He gave his music books to Liu Zhiping. He presented his stationery, South Agency Anthology to Mr. Wang Pingling. He presented his piano and other possessions to the Japanese lady.…You made some arrangements and placements for your Japanese wife, but you neglected your first wife Yu and your sons, you seemed to have forgotten them completely.

我的第四个问题,也是俗人常念——你是有过性生活的人,怎么可以舍得呢?
My fourth question, but also the question often asked by the laity—you have had a life of sex, how could you give it up absolutely?

特别是两个妻子都很淑贤貌美,正值“三十如狼四十如虎”的大好年华, 况且有“日本女人天下第一”之说,你怎么忽然就不尽丈夫的义务,让她们成了旷妇“守活寡”呢?
Especially your two wives who were beautiful at the ages “thirty like a wolf,and forty like a tiger” women’s golden time,and there is the idiom that says “Japanese women are the best in all the land,’. How can you suddenly not fulfill the husband’s obligation, but make them into long-drawn-out-no-sex women ancT‘demi-vierge”?

你这么做是否人道呢?
What you have done is humanity?

你似乎也没有回答我的问题,只是在你劝导青年僧人的演讲中提到“持戒”,你说:“最低限度也要持五戒。” “受戒之后,若不持戒,所犯的罪,比不受成的人要加倍得大。” “万不可敷衍门面。”据说,你的两个妻子曾哭啼啼地到寺庙去找你,你硬是不见,害得她们在寺前盘横半月有余,成为当时大报小刊的头条新闻。
You seemed not to answer my question either, but you persuaded the young monks in a speech “Precepts”,you said: “At a minimum you will hold the five precepts.” \"‘After ordained, if you cannot abide by the precepts, the sins you have are more than those who are not ordained,they are more than doubled.” “Don’t have a perfunctory facade^.It was reported, your two wives were crying at the temple trying to find you, you just refused to see them again, and so they had to wait for you in front of the temple for more than a half month.As a result they became the headlines in many newspapers.

你手书一偈语:“妻子聚会,愿亲平等,若得五欲,拔除欲箭。”我只能说,好朋友,你拔得出欲箭,她们如何拔得出?
You wrote a letter to them: “Wives meet together,may pro equal.If you have five desires,please remove the desire’s arrow.” I can only say,my good friend, you can pull the desire’s arrow out,but how could they pull it out?

你可真够狠的。
You were so cruel.

她们被你半道上抛弃了,还要为你守洁,真是不人道!
You abandoned them on the road of life, but they had to keep purity for you, so it is inhumane!

我的第五个问题是,和尚不等于佛,和尚只不过是侍奉佛像的信仰者,当了和尚也不一定就沾了佛的光,“成仙得道”。
My fifth question: A monk is not equal to the Buddha, they are just believers who serve Buddha statues.A monk is not necessarily Buddha’s light,and does not necessarily become immortal.

换句话说,和尚无非是个职业,靠施主的香火钱为生。
In other words, a monk is nothing more than an occupation, relying on donor money to live on.

如果人们都不信佛,和尚也就活不下去了。
If people do not believe in Buddhism, monks also can't live.

所以和尚和农夫、教师、乞丐、官员、妓女等都一样,不过是求生的一种方式,所以和尚总把佛和佛经弄得很悬乎,让人们感到神秘莫测,目的是让更多人们的掏香火钱。
So the monks, like farmers, teachers, beggars, prostitutes and other officials, all the same, are a way to survive in the world.Some monks always make Buddha and Buddhism very complicated, and let people think them mysterious, is the purpose to make more people pay money for them?

你对这个门外汉的问题似乎不屑一顾。
Facing such a layman's question you seemed contemptuous in disregard.

燕雀安知鸿鹄之志哉?
How do the swallow and sparrow know the swan or goose's high aspirations? (How does the brambling know your lofty ambition?)

你在佛法大意中说:“佛法以大菩提心为主。
In the article “Buddha Dharma”,you are in effect saying: “Buddhist Dharma mainly concentrates on the Great Bodhi.

菩提心者,即是利益众生之心。
Bodhi Heart is the heart of the interests of all sentient beings.

故信佛法者, 须常抱积极之大悲心,发救济一切众生之大愿,努力做利益众生之种种慈悲事业,乃不愧为佛教徒之名称。”你还说:“至于做慈善事业——尤要!
The Buddhist must often hold a positive heart of compassion, send relief to save all beings, strive to benefit sentient beings through all sorts of charity, so then you are worthy of a Buddhist name.” You also said: “As for charity——especially important!

既为佛教徒,即应努力做利益社会之种种事业,乃能他人了解佛教是救批的、积极的,不起误会。”
For Buddhists, you must strive to do all things which can benefit society and the public, to help others to understand Buddhism,which is salvation,a positive,not misunderstand it.”

我的第六个问题是,盛世兴佛,乱世灭佛。
My sixth question is that in the flourishing age the Buddha flourished, in the tumultuous age the Buddha went out.

历史上有多次灭佛运动,汉魏就有四次,宋、明也有过短暂的灭佛运动。
ln history there were many movements, either the rulers or the ordinary people repeatedly destroyed Buddhism.In the Han Dynasty and Wei Dynasty there were four attempts to eradicate Buddhism.In the Song Dynasty and Ming dynasty there was also a brief destruction of the Buddhist movement.

到了五四运动后,不少青年也提出灭佛。
In the May Fourth Movement, many young people also put out Buddhism.

当然,在你死后,新中国的文化大革命,把佛像砸毁逼迫和尚还俗更是有甚于古代任何朝代。
After your death, the new Chinese Cultural Revolution Red Guards smashed Buddha statues, burned Buddhist books and forced monks to resume a secular life.They did more destroying than any ancient dynasty.

佛,是人们解决了肚子问题之后才有闲心考虑的问题,乱世,佛己不能自保,何谈保护众生呢?
Buddhism is only concerned during the times when people have to solve the problem of having nothing to eat, not when people have enough and nothing to do.In troubled times.Buddhism has been unable to protect itself, how can it protect people?

你说:“空者无我:不空者是救世之事业。
You said: Empty is no mine, but not empty is the cause of salvation.

虽知无我,而能努力做救世之事业,故空而不空。
Though you know that without you, you are able to do business, so empty is not empty.

虽努力做救世之事业,而决不执着有我,故不空而空。”我读了汗颜,似懂非懂啊。
Although efforts to do the work of salvation, you never concern yourself, therefore the not empty, but it is empty.I read the sentence with shame, for I do not fully understand.

但是,我看到你的年谱中记载:1927年北伐成功,有激进派打着反封建的旗号,主张“灭佛驱僧,收回寺院”,拆掉了一些庙宇。
However, I see your chronicle records: The northern expedition was successful.In 1927, a radical and anti-feudal banner advocated, \"Destroy Buddha and drive away monks,recover the temples.” Indeed they destroyed some old temples.

在此危机关头,你挺身而出,邀请革命党负责人宣中华探讨保护佛教事宜,又为此邀请政界一批知名人士召开座谈会,并致电当时的国民党政府大学院院长蔡元培等人士。
In this time of crisis, you stepped forward bravely, invited the revolutionary party leader Xuan Zhonghua to talk on the protection of Buddhist matters.You invited a number of celebrities and politicians to hold a forum and you telegraphed the Kuomintang Govemment University Dean Cai Yuanpei and other VIPs.

在你的努力下,灭佛一说终于被制止。
In your efforts, the destroy Buddha movement was finally stopped.

你捍卫佛教,身体力行。
You have defended Buddhism and set an example by personally taking part.

其精祌, 感动天地。
Your spirit moved the world.

1942年,弘一大师圆寂。
In 1942, Master Hongyi died.

此书收集了弘一大师为弘扬佛法的许多演讲词和许多条幅,其墨宝令人高山仰止,为中华民族优秀的传统文化增添了靓丽的风采。
The book is a collection of many speeches by the great master Hongyi made to promote Buddhism.Also containing banners and calligraphy, the contents are so valuable and great they add to the beautiful treasures of traditional Chinese culture.

掩卷深思,我似乎明白了许多,有豁然开朗的感觉。
After reading the book, I thought a lot, and seemed to have understood many things. I have the sense that I am suddenly enlightened.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-5-29 08:41 , Processed in 0.787729 second(s), 5 queries , Redis On.