找回密码
 注册
搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
楼主: liushijun

[[原创地带]] 分享自己每日学习英语的总结【请勿跟帖】

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2014-3-19 08:36:09 | 显示全部楼层
Friendship and play shorten the day.Lookers-on see most of the game.-Envy has no holidays.
忌妒之人无宁日。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-3-20 16:40:19 | 显示全部楼层
Her 18 unspeakable secrets

女人18个“不能说的秘密”

1.Women especially love a bargain.

女人特别喜欢便宜货。

2.Women love to shop. It is the only area of the world where they feel like they're actually in control.

女人喜欢购物。她们觉得那是她们在这个世界上唯一能控制的领域。

3.Women love to talk. Silence intimidates them and they feel a need to fill it, even if they have nothing to say.

女人喜欢交谈。沉默使她们不安,她们需要用交谈打破沉默,即使她们没什么可说的。

4.Women need to feel like there are people worse off than they are.

女人需要感觉到别人不如她们。

5.Women hate bugs. Even the strong -willed ones need a man around when there's a spider or a wasp involved.

女人讨厌虫子。当看到一只蜘蛛或黄蜂时,即使意志力很强的女人也需要一个男人在身旁。

6.Women always go to public restrooms in groups. It gives them a chance to gossip.

女人经常结伴去公共卫生间。这是她们闲谈的好机会。

7.Women think all beer is the same.

女人觉得所有品牌的啤酒都是一个味儿。

8.Women don' understand the appeal of sports. Men seek entertainment that allows them to escape reality. Women seek entertainment that reminds them of how horrible things could be.

女人不能领略体育节目的魅力。男人从那些能让他们逃离现实的东西中寻找娱乐,女人则从那些能提醒她们现实有多糟糕的东西中寻找娱乐。

9.Women are paid less than men, except for one field:Modeling.

女人的薪水比男人低,只有一个行业例外———模特。

10.Women do not know anything about cars, even if they drive car themselves.

女人对汽车一无所知,即使她们自己开车。

11.Women love to talk on the phone. A woman can visit her girl friend for two weeks, and upon returning home, she will call the same friend and they will talk for three hours。

女人喜欢煲电话粥。一个女人去看她的女朋友,她们一起生活了两个星期,她刚刚回家便会给这个女朋友打电话,她们会聊上3个小时。

12.Women do NOT want an honest answer to the question,"How do I look?"

在“我看上去怎么样?” 这个问题上,女人不想得到诚实的答案。

13."Oh,nothing,"has an entirely different meaning in woman-language than it does in man-language。

“哦,没什么。”这句话在女人的字典里的意思和在男人字典里的完全不同。

14.All women will say that they are overweight, but don't agree with them about it.

所有女人都会说自己超重,但千万别对此表示赞同。

15.Women can get out of speeding tickets by pouting. This will get men arrested.

面对超速行驶的罚单,噘嘴可以使女人免于处罚,却会使男人被拘留。

16.Women don't really care about a sense of humor in a guy despite claims to the contrary.

女人并不真的在乎男人是否有 幽默感,尽管她们声称幽默感很重要。

17.Women will spend hours dressing up to go out, and then they'll go out and spend more time checking out other women. Men can never catch women checking out other men;women will always catch men checking out other women.

女人在出门前将花费数小时化妆,然后她们出门,花更多时间注视其他女人。男人永远不会察觉女人注视着其他男人,而女人总能察觉男人注视着其他女人。

18.The most embarrassing thing for women is to find another woman wearing the same dress at a formal party.

最让女人尴尬的就是在一个正式的聚会上发现另一个女人穿着和自己同样的衣服。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-3-23 17:08:18 | 显示全部楼层
What makes life dreary is the want of motive - George Eliot
没有了目的,生活便郁闷无光。(乔治.埃略特)Get a livelihood, and then practise virtue.
先谋生而后修身Beauty is a gift of God.-Aristotle
美者,天赋也。——亚里士多德
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-3-30 21:22:42 | 显示全部楼层
Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.
如果另外一个人的幸福是你幸福的根本所在,这就是爱。To live is to function. That is all there is in living.
活着就要发挥作用,这就是生活的全部内容。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-4-11 15:42:17 | 显示全部楼层
The land did not move, but moved. The sea was not still, yet was still.
大地止而亦行,大海动而亦静。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-4-13 09:07:33 | 显示全部楼层
Choose a life of action, not one of ostentation.
要选择行动的一生,而不是卖弄的一生。

如果某一天,没有回复,说明自己没有学习,努力中
ostentation  
英 [,ɒsten'teɪʃ(ə)n] 美 ['ɑstɛn'teʃən]  
n. 卖弄;虚饰;虚有其表
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-4-13 10:16:10 | 显示全部楼层
miscellaneous [,mɪsə'leɪnɪəs]
adj. 混杂的,各种各样的;多方面的,多才多艺的
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-4-16 07:09:35 | 显示全部楼层
Would you opt for an expensive luxurious car or a reasonable but practical car? 要是有机会出国留学,或有一份高工资的工作等着你,你会选择什么呢? Would you opt for further study abroad or a well-paid job? 我什么都要,行吗? No, you can opt for only one。今天学的词组是opt for...
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2014-4-16 07:58:39 | 显示全部楼层
引用第27楼liushijun于2014-04-16 07:09发表的 :
Would you opt for an expensive luxurious car or a reasonable but practical car? 要是有机会出国留学,或有一份高工资的工作等着你,你会选择什么呢? Would you opt for further study abroad or a well-paid job? 我什么都要,行吗? No, you can opt for only one。今天学的词组是opt for...

发帖子时能不能断断行?
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-4-17 07:55:04 | 显示全部楼层
Art is long, life is short.
人生朝露,艺业千秋。Here are 7 things you should never say to someone:

1. “I don’t care”

What they hear: “Leave me alone. I have better things to do than listen to you.”

Explain why you would love to hear about that subject, and why “right now” is not the best time for you. Everybody matters. Not caring about someone is denying their existence: If people matter for you, you will matter for them.

2. “You’re wrong”

What they hear: “You are stupid. You know nothing. You’re worthless.”

Prefer more tactful sentences. “I would have thought that…”, “My understanding is that…”

Ask questions to make sure you and the other person are working on the same assumptions.

3. “You can’t do it”

What they hear: “You don’t have what it takes to do it, no matter how hard you try; So why do you even try?”

Why would you set someone up for failure? I understand that you don’t want your friend to have delusions, and you could feel that it is your duty to stop that person before they hurt themselves, but I would like to ask you: how can you judge what is good for somebody? And what if failure was the best path for growth?

Encourage people who have chosen a challenging path.

Good judgement comes with experience, but experience comes from bad judgement; – Will Rogers

4. “This should be easy”

What they hear: “It’s easy for most people. If you have trouble doing it, there is probably something wrong about you”

The level of difficulty is perceived differently by everyone, and everyone has their own Everest. If you’re telling somebody that their job is easy, then you’re undermining their contribution to society and you’re telling them they don’t deserve the salary they have.

If someone is struggling and coming for help, then they have trust you enough to show you their weakness. Don’t rub their face in it by saying “This should be easy”.

Acknowledge the challenges that people encounter and value their commitment to overcome them.

5. “I told you so”

What they hear: “You did not listen to me. That’s all your fault. I’m so much better than you.”

This one is a common no-no.

It’s useless to shoot a dead horse, especially when other person needs your help more than ever. Don’t keep tabs on who’s right and who’s wrong. If it were a competition, the one keeping tabs would be the one losing.

Help the other person, and don’t add insult to injury.

6. “As I just said before…”

What they hear: “You don’t listen to me. You’re making me repeat myself. You’re so annoying and dumb”

This is a very sneaky conversation killer. If someone asks you a question and you point out that you’ve already answered it, then you’re killing their willingness to learn, or even to have a slight interest in what you say.

Say the same thing in another way and by illustrating it differently.

Tell them what you’re going to tell them. Then, tell them. Finally, tell them what you’ve told them. – Aristotle

7. “Good luck”

What they hear: “There’s nothing you can do that will make you succeed. Only luck will. let’s hope for a once-in-a-millenium planet-alignment-like opportunity so that you can succeed.”

Also, it is bad luck to wish good luck. It is more common for comedians to say “Break a leg”, or “Merde!” – the French equivalent of “Shit!”. The expression comes from the fact that, during older times, successful plays would attract a lot of carriage traffic and therefore a significant amount of horse dejection. Maybe this is why people would slip and “break a leg”.

Don’t attribute success to luck; celebrate the other person’s qualities instead.“Show them your guts!” “Give them something they’ll never forget!”
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-4-28 17:50:39 | 显示全部楼层
Play down的意思是降低,缩小和轻描淡写。 最近有人在网上张贴消息说美国七大体育馆周末将遭受脏弹袭击,美国国土安全部立即通知全国美式足球协会,要他们提高警惕。不过国土安全部同时降低这种威胁 -- "played down the threat against U.S. stadiums."

lame duck这说法往往是指一个由于不会再继续担任这职务而无法起作用的总统或官员。报导说:"Elections may leave Bush an early lame duck." 意思是即将举行的选举可能会使布什更早地成为一个不能起作用的总统。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-5-1 08:14:49 | 显示全部楼层
To shell out 意思是支付,花费。迪斯尼动画电影“冰雪奇缘”票房火爆,根据电影推出的各种产品也深受小朋友追捧。Some parents are shelling out over $1000 on ebay to get a limited edition of Queen Elsa's doll. Cry foul 的意思是喊冤,强烈抗议。耐克公司推出了巴西世界杯英格兰国家队版的新款球衣,不过定价不菲,Fans in England cried foul over the £90 cost for an England World Cup shirt.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-5-3 20:58:34 | 显示全部楼层
Lethal,形容词,意思是致命的。 The massive landslide in rural Washington last month is one of the most lethal landslides in U.S. history.阴沉丧气的人是Debbie downer, 阳光向上的性格是sunny personality, 及时行乐则是to eat, drink and be merry.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-5-4 16:34:58 | 显示全部楼层
The heart's memory eliminates the bad and magnifies the good.
人往往在心中清除坏的记忆,放大好的记忆。—马尔克斯Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
懦夫在未死以前就已经死了好多次;勇士一生只死一次。—莎士比亚Marriage changes you as a person in ways that you can't imagine.
婚姻会用一种你想象不到的方式改变你。The problems of your past are your business. The problems of your future are my privilege.
你的过去我不愿过问,那是你的事情;你的未来我希望参与,这是我的荣幸。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-5-6 15:43:27 | 显示全部楼层
Off the hook 脱钩,其实就是脱身,或是摆脱责任的意思know one's place。To know one's place,意思是按照自己的身份和地位行事,特别是指自己的地位比较低下的时候we had a field day at the amusement park. 我觉得,我们以后应该每年都到那里去。burn the candle at both ends这个习惯用语的意思就是过份地消耗精力或是财产。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-5-7 07:46:29 | 显示全部楼层
Furloughed
v.给予休假;使停职
n.(军人,官吏的)休假Maritime 形容词,意思海洋的,海事的。The United States and countries bordering the Pacific have signed a deal to ease maritime tension
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-5-10 16:48:57 | 显示全部楼层
Fear not that thy life shall come to an end, but rather fear that it shall never have a beginning.
不要害怕你的生活将要结束,应该担心你的生活永远不曾真正开始We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.
我们要接受失望,因为它是有限的;但千万不可失去希望,因为它是无穷的。 - 马丁·路德·金The higher I got, the more amazed I was by the view.
我爬得越高,眼前的风景便愈发迷人。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-5-12 20:35:33 | 显示全部楼层
Sustainability 名词,意思是可持续性,指不完全破坏自然资源的发展方式。在以保护环境为主旨的世界地球日,Apple invited competitors to copy its sustainability strategy the way they mimic its product designs.

能说会道,用silver tongue; 说空话是pay lip service; 说一套,做一套是talk the talk, but not walk the walk.
明天回家。估计最近今天没有机会学习。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-5-13 10:03:46 | 显示全部楼层
第一:形容某人小心眼,用 petty;

第二:记仇则是hold a grudge against someone;

第三:不计较了,可以说 get over it;
大众情人叫做 lady killer;

形容某人难伺候可以用 high-maintenance;

配不上,叫做 out of someone's league!
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-5-14 16:46:01 | 显示全部楼层
Keep one's head above water,这个习惯用语就是说,在艰难的处境下为生系,克服生活、工作和财务上的困难。说到我们邻居的那位老奶奶,She's scarcely able to keep her head above water.Greek to me. Greek to me这个习惯用语的意思就是完全无法理解。指开诚布公地说明事实,叫:to lay your cards on the table.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-6-17 22:43 , Processed in 0.554886 second(s), 5 queries , Redis On.